Being part of the StoryBoard means getting a ‘crash course’ in being a writer and illustrator in Scotland today – from working with a mentor to heading off on a creative retreat together. You’ll help us create new opportunities for their fellow teens too, like our annual conference, StoryCon, and our online magazine, StoryMag.
If you’re on the programme, you’ll get:
- A weekend residence at National Library Scotland: we launch the programme with a get together and introductory weekend at National Library Scotland.
- A professional mentor: we select and match you up with a professional mentor for you based on your interests and chosen writing genre who will work you one on one across 6 months.
- A creative writing retreat: a 6 day residential retreat at Moniack Mhor Creative Writing Centre, near Inverness.
- To plan and attend StoryCon: help us programme our flagship writing and illustration event for teens with workshops you are interested in.
- A showcase: an event celebrating of your achievements on the programme
- Ongoing support from Scottish Book Trust: support from our Young Writers Programme manager.
All teens are welcomed and supported to be part of this programme, if you have any extra support needs please get in contact to speak to us.
“I would really encourage everyone to apply to the What’s Your Story? programme. The mentoring is amazing, Scottish Book Trust really think about what story you want to tell, and what you want to learn during the programme and then match you with someone perfect! I think it’s really important that young people’s voices are heard, and through organising StoryCon we had the chance to define exactly what we wanted to learn!”