Every Autumn, we put out a call for young people in Scotland (aged 14-17) to join us as part of the What’s Your Story? development team for a year.
A handful of enthusiastic teens get a ‘crash course’ in being a writer and illustrator in Scotland today – from working with a mentor to heading off on a creative retreat together. They’ll help us create new opportunities for their fellow teens too, like our annual conference, StoryCon, and our online magazine, StoryMag.
Teens on the programme get:
- A weekend residence at National Library Scotland: we launch the programme with a get together and introductory weekend at National Library Scotland.
- A professional mentor: we select and match you up with a professional mentor for you based on your interests and chosen writing genre who will work you one on one across 6 months.
- A creative writing retreat: a 6 day residential retreat at Moniack Mhor Creative Writing Centre, near Inverness.
- To plan and attend StoryCon: help us programme our flagship writing and illustration event for teens with workshops you are interested in.
- A showcase: an event celebrating of your achievements on the programme
- Ongoing support from Scottish Book Trust: support from our Young Writers Programme manager.
What’s Your Story? teen writers and illustrators have planned StoryCon events, volunteered at Aye Write! in Glasgow, interviewed authors at Edinburgh International Book Festival, showcased their work to hundreds of people and lots more. Check out our 2019 StoryBoard and their mentors, or see our past StoryBoards.
Applications to StoryBoard will open in autumn.
All teens are welcomed and supported to be part of this programme, if you have any extra support needs please get in contact to speak to us.
What’s Your Story? has offered me more opportunities than I could have imagined. From the mentorship to interviewing authors that I’ve loved for a long time at the Edinburgh International Book Festival, it’s been absolutely amazing and I can’t think of anything else like it.